Suggestions for Kids in LA without Disneyland
New York Times
Friday 28 July 2006, 1:35 pm
by Sharon Waxman
Consider, just for a moment, a weekend on the left coast without the prefabricated pleasures of Disneyland or Universal Studios.
- There are few civic gifts that equal the delights of the
located off Sepulveda Boulevard not far from Westwood.
1200 Getty Center Drive, 310-440-7300; parking $7, admission free.
- Don't miss the spectacular architecture of Frank Gehry downtown at the
Walt Disney Hall Concert Hall.
111 South Grand Avenue, 323-850-2000.
- Then, take a stroll about a block and a half to the recently completed
Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels,
where the interior is a tribute to California history.
555 West Temple Street, 213-680-5200.
- Hike among the huge eucalyptus trees in Laurel Canyon Park.
8260 Mulholland Drive, 818-769-4415. Free.
- Will Rogers State Historic Park, on Sunset Boulevard a few miles from the ocean, has acres of rolling lawn.
1501 Will Rogers State Park Road, off Sunset, Pacific Palisades, 310-454-8212; parking $7.
- Try Will Rogers State Beach for a quiet, contemplative moment.
Enter along the Pacific Coast Highway near Temescal Canyon Boulevard. Parking $5 to $10. Or head for the Santa Monica Pier, at Colorado and Ocean Avenues.
Keep an eye peeled for dolphins and seals; they swim close in to shore.
- Eat at Mel's Drive-In on the Sunset Strip. Open 24 hours, 8585 Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles, 310-854-7200. Or La Serenata de Garibaldi, a reasonably priced, gourmet fish restaurant, in Santa Monica at 1416 Fourth Street, 310-656-7017.